Some of the big trends are:
- The ascendancy of China on the internet.
- The rise of the visual web in the fast-growing popularity of services like Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat.
- The growth of messaging apps like WhatsApp and WeChat, which reflects a preference for communicating with smaller groups of contacts more frequently, in contrast with the one-to-many mode of communication popularized by social networks like Facebook and Twitter.
- The proliferation of screens in consumers’ lives, which allows them to consume more content in the same number of hours.
- The shift of ad dollars from print to mobile.
- Apps replacing channels as the dominant organizational mode for video as consumers, led by millennials, watch ever more of their video on mobile devices and internet-connected TVs.
- No sign of a bubble burst…yet. Stay tuned.